One of the things I hear alot about eating healthy is getting bored with food. It’s only so many times I can eat plain chicken breast and tuna in the can. So I love to find new ways to spice up chicken without spending a lot of time in the kitchen.
I found a great article in the March issue of Shape magazine that was titled Shop Once, Eat All Week. Instead of needing a boatload of ingredients, you use leftovers from your meals you will cook later in the week. I made the first recipe, Lemon Chicken With Red Beans and Quinoa minus the radishes.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 37 minutes
1 1/2 cups dry quinoa
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2 pounds), each sliced horizontally into 2 4-ounce cutlets
Juice of 1 lemon
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons ground cumin
5 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 small red onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
2 cans (15 ounces each) low-sodium pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
4 radishes, sliced
1. Combine quinoa with 6 cups water in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce to a simmer; cover and cook for 25 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and transfer 2 cups to an airtight container to refrigerate for Thursday’s dinner.
2. Meanwhile, cover chicken with lemon juice and sprinkle with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Use your fingers to rub in cumin, making sure to coat all sides.
3. Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium. Add chicken in a single layer and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until golden. Turn and cook 4 to 5 minutes more until cooked through. Remove from skillet and set aside to cool. Wrap up half the chicken (4 cutlets) and refrigerate for Thursday’s dinner.
4. In the same skillet over medium-high, add remaining olive oil and red onion. Sauté for 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Season with remaining salt and cayenne pepper. Add pinto beans, vinegar, and pepper; combine and bring to a simmer. Stir in 3 cups prepared quinoa, remove from heat, and mix in parsley. Remove all but 1 1/2 cups of quinoa mixture; let cool, then refrigerate for Wednesday’s dinner.
5. Divide chicken and quinoa mixture evenly among four plates. Garnish with radish slices and serve.
Nutrition score per serving: 302 calories, 10g fat (1g saturated), 20g carbs, 32g protein, 5g fiber, 54mg calcium, 3mg iron, 424mg sodium
Adapted from: Shape.com
If you would like to see all of the recipes and ingredients for the Shop Once, Eat All Week feature you can find them on Shape.com.
“Let Go And Look Good”